Kitchen and bath remodels are complicated projects that require good up front planning and experience. Zayne and his crew have delivered excellent projects for me on repeated occasions. Each time the work has been completed on the agreed schedule and above my expectations. Most importantly it is critical to work with someone you trust and that has the knowledge and experience required – Lifestyle truly fits this description.
Budget Buster Kitchen Remodel Mistakes
Budget Buster Kitchen Remodel Mistakes
Remodeling your kitchen can be expensive (albeit, worthwhile) investment, which is why it’s important to establish a budget and to plan your remodel out from the very beginning. Going over budget is not something that homeowners can typically afford to do, after all.
Unfortunately, there are a few remodeling mistakes that can destroy your budget if you’re not careful. The following are some of the most common remodeling mistakes that you should keep in mind in order to remain within your budget:
- Not doing a background check – You’ll want to make sure you hire a contractor that you can trust. Perform a thorough background check to make sure that they are fully licensed and insured. Go online and find some reviews by past customers and be sure to ask the contractor for references that you can look into. You should also visit the Better Business Bureau website to see if past customers have submitted any complaints against them. The more reputable a contractor is, the less likely you are to go over budget.
- Not having a written agreement – Make sure that everything you agree to with your contractor is in your contract. The last thing you want is the contractor charging you extra for work you thought you had agreed would be included.
- Changing your mind after work has begun – Deciding on a different material when the remodel has already begun can be quite costly. It will require the contractor to order those materials, which can take a while to arrive, which can delay the project. All of this will cost you extra money and put you closer to going over your budget.
- Favoring style over function – Remember to keep in mind the function of your kitchen. If you’re too concerned with its aesthetic, you’re going to find that your kitchen isn’t as functional as you may have wanted it to be following the remodel, which means you may end up having to pay for more remodels in the future.
- Focusing too much on one facet – Make sure your budget addresses your kitchen needs equally and isn’t too focused on one feature. For example, if you end up spending more on your high-end appliances, you may run out of money to spend on your countertops.
- Paying too much for high-end materials – You don’t always need high-end materials for everything. In some cases, there are less expensive materials available that are just as functional and that can provide a similar look. Not only are high-end materials expensive, they’re often less durable, which means you may end up having to pay more to have them repaired or replaced in the near future.
- Creating a plan based on rough sketches – Your remodeling project should not be based on 2D drawings, especially if you’re reconfiguring the layout of your kitchen. Reputable contractors use 3D software tools to create 3D drawings, thereby allowing you to get a much better idea of how your kitchen is going to look once the remodel is completed.
- Not having emergency funds – Part of your budget should be set aside for potential emergencies. You may run into issues during your remodel that need to be addressed. For example, you may not have realized that your plumbing needs to be completely replaced until you’re halfway through the project. If you don’t have money set aside for such potential issues, you risk going way over budget.
These are some of the most common kitchen remodeling mistakes that are bound to blow your budget. For more kitchen remodeling advice, be sure to contact us at Lifestyle Cabinetry and Millwork today.